Friday, July 5, 2013

The Attack of the Cronut!!

Pastry Heaven...




What better reason to start blogging again than a new pastry creation.  Just when we thought there was nothing new under the sun, the food artists are hard at work peaking the interest of Foodies everywhere.  In the words of one of my favorite people "Everything around me had me underwhelmed" and completely uninspired until this...





Its no secret I'm slightly addicted to Instagram, and this is exactly why.. While trying to kill time at my very hectic and demanding job I was perusing  pictures and landed on a page I don't usually follow after spotting what initially looked a little like a donut sandwich.

Turns out the sight before me was called a Cronut and curiosity sent me on a mad search for more information, a recipe..., a location..., anything that could bring me a little closer, LOL.  Introduced to NYC back in May to rave reviews, the Cronut now has my people (greedy/Foodies) lining up outside Dominique Ansel's Spring Street Bakery as early as 6am like straight crackheads.  I'm not judging at all.  I'm likely to be standing in that very line during my next trip home, possibly alone because my Kerr-Bear is not into sweets... not sure how we ever became friends HA!

In my research I found quite a few impostors of the Cronut (croissant/donut hybrid), however I chose this recipe because it doesn't seem to mimic Chef Dominique's creation, but rather offers a limitless alternative that leaves a lot of room for creativity.  Edd Kimber's recipe is available at http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/taste/213189441.html if you want to check it out.

If you're considering trying this recipe be aware it takes at least a day for the dough to rise in the fridge, which is really good for my inner greed, I can't just make these every time I have a craving. 

So at 11 pm last night I remembered that I had this dough prepped and ready for Cronuts, although it was late, there was still a firework show visible from my kitchen bay window so I set up bakery and got to work on the final steps of Edds recipe.  Once the frying was almost complete (I burnt the 1st two) I got the family up to taste-test.  Once my audience arrived, donning their pj's and robes I quickly lemon-sugar-coated, vanilla custard filled, and lemon glazed each Mini-Cronut while they griped about being disturbed at bedtime.  Needless to say all that pissing and moaning came to a halt at the first bite, a sudden change of heart.  Of course everyone wanted seconds, they wanted the donut holes, they even ended up eating the burnt ones after I refused to roll out more dough for another batch. 

A few tips:  I used grape seed oil, which the original Cronut is cooked in, I also tried a small and large donut hole, mainly to get little bon-bon sized munchkins.  Next time I'll be trying some savory toppings, and maybe skipping the donut hole all together, we'll see... Thanks for checking in...stay tuned!! XO


No comments:

Post a Comment