Friday, July 12, 2013

Brussels Sprouts... Blah!!

As I sit down to write to you I realize this is a guilt post.  After the response I got from the Cronut experiment to make more and more and try different fillings it hit me that I don't want to become a Cronut expert.  While I definitely indulge in the buttery-sugary treats more than the average person I don't want to become the pusher!!  Unless someone wants to pay me, that's a different story.  So I'm saving the next Cronut experience for a special occasion where they won't all be consumed by the same handful of people.  Although I hate to admit it there is such a thing as too much butter.. :(

So here goes... a post to make me feel better about all the deep-fried, sugary goodness I really want to write about.
After picking up a freakishly large bag of Brussels sprouts at Sam's over the weekend it occurred to me that no one in my house would actually take the initiative to cook them, we never really ate these growing up, I actually only ate them for the first time about a year ago when Brookey brought them over for a dinner party.  I didn't mind them when she made them (the recipe probably involved bacon), so I figured I'd try them in the spirit of trying something new.  No new friends... All new foods!!

Considering I wasn't super excited about the outcome of this side dish, and I could tell by the screw-faced looks I was getting as I washed and prepped them that I'd likely eat them all alone I decided not to put myself through too much.  I settled on roasting them, hoping the high heat would bring out a surprise flavor, like grilled broccoli or asparagus.  I also decided that instead of the minced garlic I usually use I'd actually slice up a whole head, tossed in with some olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper and hope for the best.  I will say, there must be some way better recipes for Brussels sprouts, ways to make them taste less like crud... but I honestly didn't think I needed to devote any more time to this.
                      
I'm sure you can tell by now I really wasn't impressed.  I actually liked the flavor of the final product, but somehow these shrunken heads of cabbage just don't do it for me.  Brooke loves them, I even saw June Ambrose post an IG pic of them a few weeks back, I don't get it.  The only thing I could think of to salvage these suckers is to throw them in the pot the next time I make a corned beef.  Kind of like a corned beef and mini-cabbage.  We'll see.  For now dear Brussels sprouts, we must part ways, I tried.

XO

1 comment:

  1. Try it again! Talk to Kathy about technique. She actually makes them taste good.

    ReplyDelete