Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Good Morning and Happy Thanksgiving Readers...

I'm gonna try to make this short and sweet, I know everyone has a ton of cooking to do.  I decided to make today about housework first, then relaxing, but I don't feel cheated on the festivities since my family got together to celebrate over the weekend and we had a ball.

This post is really about a discovery I made last weekend about my food obsession.  My sis and I were the last to arrive and I was afraid there wouldn't be any food left (my major concern) since we were late.  Luckily we caught the tail end of breakfast which was homemade bakes and saltfish, and someone saved a hard boiled egg for me which is all I need to really enjoy my saltfish.  It only took me a few minutes to survey the massive amount of food that was actually available, meaning I only had a few hours to fully appreciate everything in the fridge. If any of you have experienced my family first hand you know that this is no small amount of food I'm talking about.  There were options and large portions galore.

I'll run down the list, and you can tell me if this is normal, considering we had a birthday party for my precious Alexis which consisted of way too much food in itself.

Curry Chicken
Curried Potato and Chickpeas
Dahlpuri & Roti
Hominy Porridge
Oxtail and butter beans
Bakes and Saltfish
Pepper Pot
Ham and Cheese Quiche
Pumpkin soup
Roasted Turkey
Baked Salmon
Spiral Ham
Candied Yams
Macaroni & Cheese
Corn on the cob
Corn Souffle
Green Beans
Stuffing
Pumpkin Pie and
Marscapone Cheesecake (Giada's recipe)

As if we didn't have enough food waiting at home we brought leftovers home from the party, bad idea!


This is possibly the worse picture I've ever taken, but I was way too busy trying to eat the cheesecake to get a good shot.  This was what Ebonee and I thought we left in the kitchen, only to find two tiny pieces shoved in a Tupperware after our Spades tournament. #disappointment


If you're not Guyanese, not sure you'll know or appreciate this picture, this was the most appetizing shot I could get of Gramps' plate, Pepperpot is pretty traditional, breakfast food served with bread, present at all holidays and special occasions   I'll try to describe, but I haven't touched the stuff in almost 20 years so... Its a meat stew, beef, pigtail, whatever you prefer, it has a sweet savory flavor of cassareep (black syrup from cassava root), cloves, cinnamon, very hard to describe, but if your feeling adventurous it won't disappoint. 


These are Auntie Girlie's famous quiche, one ham and cheese, one just cheese, for the non-pepperpot attendees, she always makes sure we have options lol.


This was the very well dressed dinner table for our early Thanksgiving, I wouldn't mind mimicking this next year, a lot less pressure on the actual holiday and all the stores were open for last minute ingredients.


To explain, I'm not complaining, I love my family, and love the stocked fridge, everything was great, and the leftovers were flowing, my kinda holiday.  I think it's pretty clear that my questionable devotion to food is and always has been totally out of my control, I never stood a chance of having an "I eat for sustenance" approach to food, I love it all, always have, always will...

Enjoy your turkey day folks, I'm taking the Italian route... smooches : )

No comments:

Post a Comment