Friday, November 2, 2012

Almond Puff

Hi Readers,

Let me preface this post by saying, I love almond flavored anything, but some desserts from foreign really don't have enough sugar to be called a dessert.  This dessert seems like it has potential, but I'm not sure if I care to try this again, it tasted very egg-y, and not very sweet and almond-y.  The reviews were mixed, some said it tasted like traditional Swedish Kringler a Danish type dessert, and some said it was horrible and bland, I decided to be optimistic, however I know Danishes and this recipe did NOT a Danish make.

I was on the fence about posting the recipe and pictures, but I'm open to any advice or input anyone can offer on how to make this recipe better, or more like something I'd actually want to eat LOL.

I got the recipe from allrecipes.com and the picture looked really appetizing so I was excited, but as the process went on I grew more leery   I cut the recipe in half, so instead of two puffs I only made one, thank God, only one to throw out : (

  1. In a medium bowl, cut the 1/2 cup of margarine into the 1 cup of flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the cold water one tablespoon at a time. Using your hands or a fork, stir until the dough can form a ball. Divide dough in half. Roll or press each half into a 12x3 inch rectangle. Place them 3 inches apart onto an unprepared cookie sheet.
  2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  3. In a saucepan, bring the 1/2 cup of margarine, and 1 cup of water to a rolling boil. Lower heat and stir in the flour immediately with a wooden spoon. Continue to stir vigorously until the dough forms a tight ball. Remove from heat. Stir in eggs one at a time, then stir in the almond extract. Spread equally onto both rectangles. Bake for 10 minutes before lowering the oven temperature to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Continue to cook for 15 to 20 more minutes. The top should be crispy and brown.            
  4. To make the glaze, beat the confectioners' sugar together with the melted butter and vanilla until smooth. Spread over the almond puff when cool, and sprinkle with sliced almonds. Cut into strips and serve.     



After baking I was still hopeful, but the crust and the glaze on top would prove to be the best parts.

Definitely looked good, but that top layer was a mess.  Eggs and flour, no flavoring at all.  I'm still convinced I missed a step, just not sure where. I could only stand a few bites, it really was disappointing.

When all was said and done I still didn't have anything sweet to eat, so I decided to go buy something, I ended up with a Napoleon from Publix. 
Now that I'm writing this I realize that this was a Halloween Napoleon, meaning its a day old, why did I just pay full price for this? I should have gotten an Entenmann's Danish and called it a day.  Oh well, you live and you learn.

I'm off to inhale my sweets.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment