Saturday, October 13, 2012

Tangy Jicama Salad

So I'm heading out to a get together at my lovely friend Erica's house and I really couldn't decide this morning what I should take as a side dish so I started looking up slaw recipes and decided to just create this one.  

Surprisingly I actually kept track of what I put in so hopefully you'll enjoy it, I'm quite impressed with myself. 

I've never used Jicama before so I wasn't sure what flavors went well with it, but its actually pretty versatile.  

You'll see I decided on:
1 bag shredded Carrots 1/2 a head of Red Cabbage
1/2 Red Onions 
1 Jicama
4 Scallions and 
1/2 a head of Green Cabbage

I chose to julienne everything as best as I could because grating gets everything so fine and mushy.  
I was in a rush, same rush I'm in as I type this, or I would have used my mandeline.

Once everything was cut I tossed everything together and set it aside to make the dressing.

The dressing is a combination of three different slaw recipes I've used in the past, and the cooking method of one in particular I use from Emeril Lagasse.

To start: Boil 1 cup of white vinegar with 1 1/3 cup sugar stirring to mix

Once it boils, take it off the heat and set aside to cool.  I refrigerated it to speed it up.

While that cooled down I decided what herbs to use (all dry)

Feel free to experiment with this part of the recipe because I didn't measure spices.
I started to, then I kept doubling back to add more so... sorry

I decided to use:

Oregano
Thyme
Celery Seed
Celery Flakes (i don't like fresh celery enough to buy a whole bunch)
Ground Mustard
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Paprika, and 
Cayenne Powder


Once the vinegar mixture was slightly cooler I added about a 1/3 cup olive oil mayonnaise and two tablespoons lime juice and whisked it all together.

I then added it all to the herb blend which is what you see above...

The dressing is very light in texture, but rich in flavor, hardly noticeable in the picture below


I poured the dressing over the veggies, tossed and refrigerated.  Almost forgot, you can add salt and pepper to taste.

  Most of these types of recipes suggest that you make hours in advance or even overnight for enhanced flavor, but as I said earlier... In a rush, no time LOL


Thanks for reading, I'm late! (shocking)

No comments:

Post a Comment