Thursday, October 18, 2012

Beignets

Greetings All:

I'm supposed to be on a fruit and veggie cleanse but for some reason this week I've been hearing a lot of New Orleans talk.  First it was announced that Beyonce would be performing at the Super Bowl in New Orleans (maybe Frank Ocean will make a cameo), then I was watching reality TV as usual and my favorite TV twins were visiting N.O. and eating Beignets which I've always wanted to try.  Beignets are a French fritter that can be either sweet or savory, but in Louisianna they've become a popular dessert.

I've never been to New Orleans, but I remember seeing the mix in World Market (which I never bought) and wanting to try them.  So there goes my cleanse.  Just my luck I picked the worst possible recipe to try, it was the only one that I had all the ingredients for.  Next time I'll go for one of the recipes with condensed milk, that seems to be a key ingredient missing in the ones I made.  

I won't bother giving the recipe, but when I have a successful batch I'll be sure to share.

These weren't bad, but they tasted like basic fried dough with powdered sugar on them, like we used to make with pizza dough at the OG, I think true Beignets have more to offer.  


Serves me right for trying to stray from the system for deep-fried sweetness.

I should have just stuck to the plan!! HA!! (lesson learned)

No comments:

Post a Comment